College Pupils And Drug Overuse
Common problems on college campuses which are noticed are binge drinking, prescription and recreational drug abuse that is popular.
Among the total drug abusers throughout the country students in college hold the premier position and are one of the largest groups.
The risk of addiction is already high in young people within the age bracket of 18 to 24.
Many students experience social anxiety when they enter college. For students who do not engage in extracurricular activities or clubs find it easier to socialize through drinking. They don't immediately graduate to drug use or binge drinking but their new found habits predispose them to a greater risk of substance abuse.
It is surprising to know that students enrolled to attend college full time are 2x more likely to become addicts or drug abusers compared to those who are out of school.
Top Reasons Behind High Addiction Rates In College Students
There are many reasons that cause people to start using these drugs such as
- Many students are unable to manage various demands, like studying, working part-time, completing their internship program, and socializing, and start using drugs to escape stress.
- Study Pressure
- Students who do not have a regular studying habit or are too tired and too hectic to establish one more often resort to stimulant use to keep them awake.
- More often than not, commonly abused stimulants like Adderall are acquired without a genuine prescription.
- It is a common habit among college students to explore the new aspects of life both in personal and professional realms.
- It is almost usual among people at this age to explore and experiment with new things and experiences in life.
- Influence From Others
- Many pupils will be lured to experiment drugs because they live in an environment where peers are constantly trying recreational and boasting drugs.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Eating Conditions And The Use Of Diet Pills
Eating disorders are highly common among college students who are considered to be at an elevated risk in the development of such problems.
There was a survey done by the National Institute of Mental Health that shows majority of these students suffer from some eating problem. Over the last two decades men and women who are affected by an eating disorder has shown a tremendous growth, and this number is alarmingly constantly on the rise. In order to cut down weight, many college pupils opt for diet tablets overuse. Death and other health complications can occur because of this. Get more info about unhealthy eating behaviours and diet tablets overuse on college campuses.
College Drug Choices
Many new drugs are being introduced in the campuses every.
There are some common drugs that can be found in nearly all the colleges. These include
- Most college campuses have to deal with heavy drinking.
- Having a drink is often believed to be socially acceptable and recognising a problem among college students who are abusing alcohol can be difficult.
- Adderall also has the nickname of being a "study drug" and this medication along with some other stimulants is increasingly becoming popular with college students who are facing the pressure to meet all their academic requirements.
- Legislation is presently in favour of Marijuana legalisation and many college students have begun focusing on pot as their favoured choice of drug.
- The use of Marijuana has outpaced that of alcohol on many campuses.
- Ecstasy, which was very popular in the 90s, has started becoming popular in college campuses again in a more concentrated form, called molly or MDMA.
- Party drugs are most popular with people who are in their late teens or 20s, and as most college students fall into this age-bracket, recreational drugs are popular among them.
- MDMA is highly popular at concerts and rave parties.
Alcohol And The Impact On College Students
No other drug is more commonly abused by college students than alcohol. Booze is basically ever present at private parties, sport venues, and student gatherings therefore becoming synonym of college experience.
It is observed that the average college students consume more alcohol that their out of school counterparts which can be attributed to the culture and widespread use in campuses.
Booze is drunk by four out of five college pupils.
Nearly 50% of all students who consume alcohol have reportedly resorted to binge drinking according to a document published by the National Institute On Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Binge drinking causes severe health damage over a period of time, but it also contributes to immediate mishaps like accidents and violent fights. Learn more about binge drinking and the effects of alcohol on college campuses.
Fraternity And Sorority Drug And Alcohol Abuse
The idea of family relationship fostered in fraternities and sorority groups is somewhat negated with the increasing alcohol and drug culture that are common among them.
Survey shows that fraternity and sorority members are more predisposed to prescription drug abuse (with Adderall being the commonly abused substance among them).
Seek Assistance For Your Drug Or Alcohol Addiction
If you are struggling with a problem of binge drinking, prescription-drug abuse and an eating disorder, furthermore, are a college student you do not have to counter this difficult time alone. You can trust our experts to assist you in finding experienced counsellors to help you get out of your addiction. Gain your life back from overuse and dependence by contacting us now on 0800 246 1509.